A Review of the Blossom Menstrual Cup
The Blossom Menstrual Cup has a very good 4.5/5 star rating on Amazon and it’s one of the most economical period cups on the market, coming in $5-10 less than some of the older menstrual cups on the market today.
Made in the USA
The Blossom cup is made in the USA from medical grade silicone that’s imported from Germany. In short, it’s a very decent cup that most people would be pretty happy with. It’s an eco-friendly, affordable alternative to disposable feminine hygiene products like pads and tampons.
A Top-Quality Menstrual Cup at a Reasonable Price
All reports show that this is a menstrual cup that’s here to stay, unlike many of the other new cups on the market today. Blossom Cup is a serious company that puts out a top-quality period cup at a reasonable price.
Love it? We do too and that’s why this cup gets our solid recommendation here at Reusable Menstrual Cups.
Plus, the company offers a full refund if you’re not happy with the cup for any reason. A company that stands behind their product? We love it and we’re sure you will too!
Related: Are Menstrual Cups Expensive?
Get the Blossom Cup on Amazon
Check out this popular new period cup for yourself on Amazon:
Is the Blossom Cup FDA Approved?
The company says that the materials in the Blossom cup have been “FDA approved.” However, it seems like the actual cup itself in not on the list of FDA approved cups.
This is not a reflection of quality though. Getting on this exclusive list takes time and the Blossom Cup has only been around since 2015.
Blossom Menstrual Cup: 12 Color Options
One thing that we love about this cup is the huge variety of colours available. Currently you can get a Blossom Cup in black, blue, clear, lavender, orange, green, red, pink, solid blue, solid pink, violet, and yellow. Why shouldn’t great period protection be fun too?
We love the darker colours in particular that won’t get discoloured with repeated use.
Compare the Blossom Cup to something like the Diva Cup which comes in only one colour-clear. The coloured menstrual cups seem to stand up better over the long haul and don’t become discoloured and dingy. The company also promises that more colour options are coming in the future.
Blossom Cup Sizes
Dimensions of the small Blossom Cup: 23 ml capacity, 42 mm diameter, 62 mm length
Dimensions of the large Blossom Cup: 28 ml capacity, 45 mm diameter, 65 mm length.
Low Capacity Compared to Other Period Cups
The only thing kind of unusual about the Blossom Cup in terms of sizing is the capacity. At 23/28 ml, it’s definitely on the lower end. Most menstrual cups are in the 30 ml range. With the lower capacities, you lose a big advantage over tampons-having to deal with it less.
Think about it this way-maybe on the night of your heaviest flow, you have to get up during the night to change your tampon. It soaks through in only a few hours.
You buy a menstrual cup, hoping that you’re able to sleep through the night. However, a jumbo tampon at 10 ml compared to a Blossom Cup at 23 ml aren’t that much different and you may only have an extra hour or two. You’ll probably still have to get up.
Blossom Cup Reviews
Is there a Risk of TSS with a Blossom Cup?
A question that many people have is how safe menstrual cups, including the Blossom Cups are. It’s an excellent question because these products are something that you’ll have in your body for up to a week each month.
In terms of materials, the Blossom Cup is made from medical-grade silicone and is perfectly safe to have inside of you. The materials don’t degrade easily, and it won’t leach chemicals.
Compare this to tampons, which contain pesticides and chemicals from the cotton in them, as well as the manufacturing process. While there are trace amounts of these things, it’s thought that over the long-term, exposure can cause some serious health effects.
Let’s talk about Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). There are thousands of cases each year associated with tampon use. To date, there has only been one reported case associated with menstrual cup use.
Clearly, menstrual cups are a much safer alternative to tampons when considering chemical exposure, as well as risk of TSS.
People that Like The Blossom Menstrual Cup are Saying:
“Once I found the perfect fold, I loved it. It took a while to figure out though, so don’t give up. It seems like most of my friends (and me too) took at least 3 or 4 cycles to really get the hang of it. I loved the instructions they included with it-lots of great tips for how to insert and remove it.”
“I recommend the Blossom Cup to all my friends. I’ve been using it for a year now and couldn’t be happier with it. It feels more comfortable to insert than some of the stiffer cups.”
“Someone finally made the perfect menstrual cup! For some reason, this one didn’t leak. I’ve tried the more expensive cups like the MoonCup and the Diva Cup but they just didn’t work well for me. Thankfully, I didn’t give up too soon and found the menstrual cup that works for me.”
“Better than some of the more popular cups out there. It’s also cheaper, which I appreciate since I’m on a pretty strict budget. It’s a nice economical choice for someone who doesn’t want to spend $30+ on a cup that might not fit.”
Get the Blossom Menstrual Cup on Amazon today:
Care and Cleaning of the Blossom Cup
With proper care and cleaning, your Blossom Cup can last for up to 10 years. It’s worth it to spend a bit of extra time and effort looking after your menstrual cup to make it last as long as possible. This way, you’ll get the maximum money-savings possible, and our Earth will be happier too!
Here are a few tips from the company about how to take care of your Blossom Cup:
- Use a mild, water-based, unscented soap. Natural ones are best.
- Avoid using any harsh chemicals on it, as well as soaps like the ones you find in public restrooms.
- You could also consider using a special menstrual cup cleanser like the Pixie Cup Wash, or the Diva Wash.
- Wash your cup with this mild soap and warm water during your period, each time you remove it.
- If you’re in a public bathroom, just empty the contents of the cup into the toilet, wipe with some toilet paper and reinsert it. Be sure to wash it well next time you’re in a private bathroom.
- If you want to sterilize your cup after use (optional), you can boil it in a pot of water for 5-7 minutes. Be sure not to let it touch the sides or bottom of the pot because this can damage your cup.
- Be sure to store your cup between cycles in the cloth bag that came with it. The most important this is to NEVER store a menstrual cup in an airtight container because this will breed bacteria like nothing else and will ruin your cup.
The Blossom Cup and Sex
A common question that people have about menstrual cups, including the Blossom Cup is whether or not they can have sex on their period while wearing one. This is a great question with an easy answer!
Anything that’s not penetrative sex-yes. Your partner probably won’t even know that you have your period because there are no strings sticking out.
However, for penetrative sex, it isn’t recommended. It will likely be very uncomfortable for you, as well as your partner. It’ll also be very messy, as the movement will certainly dislodge the Blossom Cup and cause some serious leaking.
Consider a Soft Cup for Period Sex
If you want to have sex during your period, opt for an Instead SoftCup. It’s a disposable feminine hygiene product that sits right up under your cervix. It collects menstrual fluid, in much the same was as the Blossom Cup and you can wear it for up to 12 hours. The major disadvantage is that it’s not eco-friendly because it’s a disposable product.
Because the SoftCup sits under your cervix, and is a soft, flat disc neither you, nor your partner are likely to feel it during sexual intercourse. Non-messy period sex? Love it!
You can check out the SoftCup for yourself on Amazon. We recommend something like the Blossom Cup for daily use, but also a box of these for those special times you want to have during your period.
***Please note: menstrual cups, as well as disposable cups like the Soft Cups do not prevent pregnancies or STI’s. Please use your regular form of protection to prevent these things.
The Blossom Period Cup Pros:
- Price. It’s about half the price of some of the more expensive cups out there.
- 12 Colors. Have your pick!
- It’s softer and easier to insert than some of the stiffer cups like the Diva Cup, or the Moon Cup.
- Plenty of satisfied customers on Amazon, with a review score of 4.5/5.
- It works, or your money back. Blossom backs up their cup with this serious guarantee. You can try it for 90 days and if you’re not happy, return it for a full refund. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for help with this.
- Made from BPA free, medical grade silicone.
- Free shipping with Amazon Prime.
- It’s an affordable, eco-friendly feminine hygiene option.
- The Blossom Cup can last for up to 10 years, with proper care and cleaning.
Related: Top 5 Soft Menstrual Cups
The Blossom Period Cup Cons:
- Very soft and some people may find it difficult to insert correctly. It can take a while to find a fold that works for you.
- The cup is so soft that it doesn’t fill to the full capacity since part of it may remain folded inside the vaginal canal.
- There isn’t much information about this cup on the company’s website. Some questions about this cup remain unanswered.
- The capacity. At 23 ml, it’s 7ml ml lower than most other cups out there. This is despite the dimensions being quite similar. If you have a heavy flow, you’re likely to be very unhappy with the Blossom Cup.
The Takeaway on the Blossom Cup:
The Blossom Cup is a decent choice for someone looking for a reasonably priced cup that is made in the USA. They have a 4.5/5 star rating on Amazon USA, with 3000+ reviewers. This means plenty of very satisfied customers.
It’s a top-quality cup made from medical grade silicone and it certainly safe to use. We also love their 90-day money back guarantee. A company that puts their money where their mouth is? Love it! And we’re sure you will too. And if you don’t? Just return the Blossom Cup for a full refund.
The Blossom Cup is easy to insert and remove and doesn’t seem to leak for most people. It has a nice balance between soft and stiff. This means that it pops into place well, but that it isn’t uncomfortable to wear.
My only hesitation about the Blossom Cup is for people with an average+ flow. With a capacity of 23ml, it’s simply too small to not be annoying! You will most certainly have to wake up during the night of your heaviest flow to change your cup. If you use a cup with a 30ml + capacity, you might avoid this by using something like a cloth pad paired with it.
Buy the Blossom Menstrual Cup on Amazon
Are you looking to buy the Blossom Cup? The best place we’ve found is on Amazon. They have all the choices of colours and sizes, and shipping is sometimes free if you have Amazon Prime. Since the Blossom Cup is new to the market, it can be hard to find on drugstore shelves.
Check out the Blossom Cup on Amazon today: