A Review of the Lily Cup
The Lily Cup, manufactured in Sweden from the highest quality medical grade silicone has only an average 3.9/5 star rating on Amazon. Compare this to something like the Lena Cup with a 4.7, or the Lunette with a 4.6. It’s one of the most expensive cups or the market, yet people don’t really seem to like it that much! There are a few reasons that people don’t love the Lily Cup, despite the high price-tag that goes along with it.
Very Big + Uncomfortable
People comment that the Lily Menstrual Cup is too big and feels uncomfortable once inside them. They also have a hard time getting the Lily Cup to open and pop into place. Compare this to something like the very stiff Diva Cup that just pops open easily for most people without any struggle, or adjustment.
The Lily Cup is quite strangely shaped, and even by appearance alone, it’s hard to see how it would open us easily once inside. At 78 mm, it’s 8mm+ longer than many of the most popular menstrual cups on the market today such as the Diva Cup, or the Moon Cup which are around 70 mm in length. This can make the Lily Menstrual cup extremely uncomfortable for women with even a medium cervix, because the stem will be very close the vaginal opening and may perhaps stick out. It will be totally unsuitable for someone with a low cervix, as they would want a menstrual cup closer to 50 mm in length such as the FemmyCycle Low Cervix.
Lily Cup: Give it a Pass
Considering these factors, we don’t recommend the Lily Cup. There are certainly better, and cheaper menstrual cups on the market today that you’d do well to consider instead of the Lily Cup.
Two Sizes of Lily Cup:
Lily Cup Small: Hasn’t given birth vaginally (28 ml capacity). 40 mm diameter, 78 mm length.
Lily Cup Large: Has given birth vaginally (32 ml capacity). 44 mm diameter, 78 mm length.
People that Like it are Saying:
“The Lily Cup is soft and flexible, which I prefer. it feels comfortable inside me and I find that it’s easier to insert than some of the very stiff cups.”
“It’s very soft and does the job well. For whatever reason, it doesn’t seem to leak like some of the more traditional menstrual cups.”
Lily Cup Pros:
- It’s very long, making removal very easy. However, it’s not for those with a low-cervix (Try the Femmy Cycle Low Cervix). At 78 mm in length, it’s a full 8-10 mm longer than some of the most popular period cups on the market today.
- It’s much softer than other cups like the stiffer Diva Cup or Moon Cup, which can make insertion easier because it folds up much smaller. For those with a small vaginal opening, it can make a nice choice.
- It has a unique design which seems effective in preventing leaks (according to the company!)
- It’s manufactured in Sweden according to the strictest quality standards so you can be assured that you’re getting a product that is safe to be inside your body.
Lily Cup Cons:
- It’s so soft that it can be difficult to get it to fully open once inside of you. If it’s not fully open, it’s extremely prone to leaking.
- It’s one of the most expensive period cups you can buy.
- Many women reported that since it’s so big and long, it hurts when inside and can cause cramping.
- Low user ratings on Amazon. It’s quite rare for a reputable menstrual cup to have a rating of less than 4.0/5, but Lily Cup manages just that!
The Takeaway on the Lily Cup:
This period cup is very expensive, but it has one of the lowest ratings on Amazon at 3.9/5. There is certainly nothing about it that warrants this higher price and in fact, many women mentioned that it was too soft and too big and felt uncomfortable when inside of them. This is a big thumbs down for us here at Reusable Menstrual Cups!
If you’re looking for a menstrual cup, I’d probably give this one a miss. Instead, check out these Top Five Menstrual Cup Brands for some better, cheaper choices. In some cases, you can get a higher rated one for half the price! A better, more highly rated menstrual cup at a much cheaper price? We’ll take that any day of the week here at this website!
Or, for a quick win, just get yourself the LENA Feminine Hygiene Cup. It’s made in the USA, FDA approved, and has thousands of great reviews over on Amazon, as well as a much higher overall rating than the Lily Cup:
Buy the Lily Cup on Amazon:
If you must, you can get the Lily menstrual cup easily on Amazon.