A Review of the MenstroCup by Femogene
The MenstroCup is a newcomer to the menstrual cup world in 2015 and there currently isn’t a lot of information about it. The biggest question mark that I have is where exactly it is manufactured. The company does not mention this anywhere on their website, or on their Amazon product description.
My guess is that the MenstroCup is made in China and that is why the company does not mention it. This is not to say that it’s a bad, or unsafe product. It does appear to be made from the highest-quality medical grade silicone imported from Germany. But, more information would be required before I would personally buy this product.
While there are a decent number of reviews on Amazon (80+) with an average 4.2/5 star rating, many of the reviews appear to have been paid for, or were in exchange for a free or discounted product.
Perhaps a wait and see approach would be best for the Menstrocup.
2 Sizes of MenstroCup:
Rim Diameter: 43mm
Total Length: 64mm
Capacity: 20 ml
In terms of sizing, the small Menstrocup is on the small size. With a capacity of only 20 ml, it’s not ideal for someone with a medium to heavy flow.
Rim Diameter: 46mm
Total Length: 68mm
Capacity: 25 ml
The large MenstroCup is pretty standard among menstrual cup, but it has a slightly smaller capacity than average cups at 25 ml.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
- Made from the highest-quality medical grade silicone imported from Germany.
- Priced very affordable, it’s relatively cheap for a menstrual cup.
- A decent 4.2/5 star rating on Amazon.
- An eco-friendly feminine hygiene option.
You can get the MenstroCup on Amazon:
- At 20ml capacity for the small, this isn’t really suitable for anyone with more than a light-medium flow.
- The company says that the small size is suitable for women with a low cervix, but at 64mm, it’s still relatively long. Instead consider the Femmy Cycle Low Cervix (50 mm), or the Meluna (S) (57 mm).
- It’s unclear where this cup is manufactured.
- Some reports of leaking, despite following all the instructions.
- The lack of real reviews on Amazon.
- Lack of real information on the company website. For example, how to insert and remove it. Or, how to clean and care for it.
How to Insert and Remove the MenstroCup
It can take a few cycles to really get the hang of how to insert and remove a menstrual cup. The key is to not give up too quickly on it. Most people do eventually figure it out, so be patient with yourself. Put on a pad (we love cloth menstrual pads) in case of leaking and keep on trying.
Here’s the advice that Femogene offers for how to insert and remove the Menstrocup.
- Wash your hands
- Fold the cup (in a C)
- Insert the cup and it should open inside of you
- Wash your hands first
- Grasp the base of the cup and remove
- If you can’t get to the base, pull gently on the stem until you can
Care and Cleaning of the MenstroCup
The company offers very little information about how to take care of the MenstroCup. We’ll offer you some general tips, or you can check out this detailed article: Care and Cleaning of Menstrual Cups.
- Boil your cup in a pot of water on the stove for 10 minutes before using it the first time. You can also do this at the end of your cycle to sterilize it. Be sure that the cup doesn’t stick to the sides or bottom because this can damage the silicone.
- During your period, wash your cup with warm water and a mild soap each time you remove it.
- Or, you can use something like the DivaWash or Pixie Cup Wash.
- When you’re not at home, empty your cup into the toilet and wipe out with a baby wipe, or toilet paper. Insert it, and be sure to wash it thoroughly when you get home. Wash your hands before going into the stall.
The Takeaway on the MenstroCup by FemoGene:
This menstrual cup is still very new to the scene and there isn’t enough real information about the product, nor are there any real reviews that have not been paid for. It’s best to adopt a wait and see attitude for this one.
If you’re looking for some similar products in the same price range that have been around a whole lot longer and have more real reviews on Amazon, consider the following options:
You can buy the Menstrocup easily on Amazon: