- TAKE BACK CONTROL – InJoy’s kegel balls exercise kit for women is a quick, easy-to-use, and...
- EASY RESULTS FOR EVERY SKILL LEVEL – 15 minutes a day and just a few short weeks, our kit include...
- RECOMMENDED BY DOCTORS, LOVED BY WOMEN – Prepare for labor, speed up childbirth recovery, increase...
- SAFE AND OH SO COMFORTABLE – Our ben wa balls sets with premium, medical grade silicone, so...
- LOVE THE NEW YOU OR YOUR MONEY BACK – In fact, we’re so confident that we back with our 100%...
Are you curious about Ben Wa Balls? Read our buying guide packed with information to help you decide if they’re right for you.
An Introduction to Ben Wa Balls
Ben Wa Balls (also known as Ben Wa Beads, Kegel Balls, Kegel Beads, or Chinese Bells) have been used for centuries by women around the world. They’re believed to have originated in Japan, before spreading to China and around the world.
Recently, they’ve become quite popular because they were featured in the movies and books, 50 Shades of Grey.
They’re basically small balls, usually found on a string that are designed to be inserted into your vagina. You can do exercises with them, and give the muscles in your pelvic a workout!
They were originally designed to strengthen the vaginal muscles, but have recently started to be used more for a sex toy. When used for this purpose, you may also see them referred to as orgasm balls, Venus balls, jiggle balls, Geisha balls, love balls or pleasure balls.
Why Consider Using Them?
Okay, so you now know a bit of basic information about them. But, why might you consider using Kegel Balls? Let’s find out!
The main reason to use them is because they can help strengthen the muscles in your pelvic. This can increase sexual pleasure (for you, as well as your partner), or help to reduce urine incontinence,
Do they Actually Work?
This is where there’s a lot of uncertainty. There are certainly a lot of people who swear by Kegel Balls and credit them with improving the quality of sex they’re having, or reducing urine incontinence. Just check the positive reviews on Amazon for these products to see for yourself.
However, there are a few precautions you should take if you decide to use them. These include:
- Make sure to keep them clean and sanitary (follow the manufacturer’s directions for your particular brand) because this will help to prevent things like yeast infections. Also be sure to wash your hands well before inserting them (as with anything you put into your vagina).
- Be sure to relax your pelvic muscles after a workout, just like any other workout you might do.
- Use them sparingly.
Are there Other Alternatives?
If you’re looking to strengthen the muscles in your pelvis, these balls may not actually work better than regular Kegel exercises, or even something like a core/ab workout. These things have the advantages of not requiring you to purchase something, and they also don’t come with the possible side effects of stressing out your muscles, or causing an increase in vaginal infections.
Where to Buy Kegel Beads
Does it sounds like Ben Wa Beads might be right for you? You can check out one of the top-rated options over on Amazon:
Are there other Names for Ben Wa Beads?
There are a number of names under which you can find this product. However, they’re all essentially referring to the same thing, and a certain name as opposed to another one isn’t an indication of better, or worse quality.
Here are some of the most common terms, and please note that balls/beads are interchangeable:
- ben wa balls
- ben wa beads
- orgasm balls
- ben wai balls
- ben wua beads
- benoit beads
- benwa beads
- benwah balls
- benoir balls
- kegel beads
- love balls
- geisha beads
- pleasure balls
- Chinese balls
- duo balls
Do Kegel Balls Vary in Quality?
As with all sex toys, there is a huge range in quality from the lowest quality to the highest quality ones. There are some very good ones that have a nice feel to them, and some cheap pieces of junk that are obviously poorly made on the market today.
The best ones will be well-made, have a nice look and feel, and are made from porous, safe materials. This make them very easy to clean in order to prevent infections from using them.
What to Consider When Buying Benoit Beads?
There are a number of things you’ll want to look for when purchasing Ben Wa Balls. These include:
- Size and weight
- Materials—the best ones are made from smooth, non-porous material that allows for easy cleaning. You’ll also find that stainless steel, metal and glass are for more advanced users, while silicone, latex and plastic are for beginners.
- Check to make sure that the material you’re considering is “medical grade.” Some of these products have FDA approval, while others do not.
- You should look carefully at ones made from plastic to ensure that they’re BPA and phthalate free and don’t contain other toxic chemicals in them.
- Customer reviews—take a look over on Amazon for the particular brand you’re considering and see what people have to say. The ones with more than 20 reviews usually give the most accurate picture of the true pros and cons.
- Single, or double balls (doutone, and attached by a string).You can also find a set with balls of varying sizes and weights.
- String, or not. The ones with strings are much more difficult to keep clean.
- Vibration. You can also use these as a sex toy, if you desire.
- Are they compatible with the lube you like to use? Most water based lubes should work.
- Weighted, or not
Ben Wa Beads Pros
- Many positive user reviews that they can tighten the vagina and strengthen pelvic muscles, prevent urine leakage, improve sensation during sex, etc.
- Some doctors recommend using them.
- Are easier to remove than Yoni Eggs because of the string attached to them.
How to Use Ben Wa Balls
Ben Wa Beads Cons
- Can be quite difficult to keep them clean and sanitary, depending on what kind of materials are in them
- Mostly anecdotal evidence about results, but few scientific studies.
- Some doctors are in support of them, while others recommend avoiding them.
- You can get the same effect without them, through core strengthening and Kegel exercises.
- We personally think they might belong on our list of the Top 5 Things to Not Put Into your Vagina, along with douches, Secret ceres wands, cheap menstrual cups, etc.
- They may cause tearing if too big, or inserted without lube when the vagina is dry.
- Can cause pain or discomfort.
- Not for anal use (they may go too far in and be extremely difficult to remove). Consider a butt plug for this purpose.
What People are Saying about Kegel Beads
“My yoga trainer recommended these to me after my 4th child (all natural births) and I’ve found that they work great so far. I’m tighter, and already experience less urine leaking when I cough or sneeze.”
“My husband bought these for a naughty gift this Christmas and we’ve enjoyed using them so far. He got the idea from Fifty Shades or Grey, and I have to admit, I’m happy that he did!”
“I’ve been using them for a couple months now and have found that the muscles in my pelvis are already stronger. They’re perfect for keeping some of the romance going! Just be sure to take some care in cleaning them thoroughly after using them.”
“I wasn’t that impressed with them because I found them hard to insert, and also uncomfortable to wear. Maybe it depends on which ones you buy? Also, how can you really keep them clean? I’ve yet to figure this out!”
Compare Ben Wa Balls
The Takeaway on Kegel Beads
Kegel balls: are they right for you? If you want to strengthen your pelvis muscles, they might be. There are no conclusive scientific studies that show that they do indeed work, but there are plenty of people who swear by them.
Same Effect Without Them?
However, you can probably get the same results by doing regular old Kegel exercises (without the balls). You can check out the video below for some tips to get started. Or, by doing some exercises that focus on the core such as yoga. You can achieve the same effect, but not have the negative side effects of possibly increased vaginal infections, or overstressed muscles.
Can They Improve My Sex Life?
You may also consider using them to improve sex for you. If you need some inspiration in this department, check out Fifty Shades of Grey! Beyond that, the sky is the limit for how you might want to use them. If you’re going to buy them, this is perhaps the better reason! For this purpose, you may want to consider some of the vibrating Ben Wa Balls.
Are They Safe?
Perhaps the most important question, are Ben Wa Balls safe to use? Possibly yes, but probably not for everybody. They can cause tearing if used when the vagina is dry, and especially with some of the bigger plastic ones that are not as slick on the surface of them.
It not cleaned well, they can cause an increase in vaginal infections (clean them well after every single use).
They may also stress out the muscles in your pelvic if used for too long, or too ambitiously.
Finally, they may cause pain and discomfort.
As far as whether or not they’re safe, check in with your doctor or a medical professional for the best advice specific to your situation.
Where to Buy Kegel Balls
Do you think that they might be right for you? You can shop now on Amazon:
Learn more about Kegel Exercises
FAQs about Ben Wa Balls
Here are some of the most common questions that people have about Ben Wa Balls.
How Far to Insert Them?
If you’re using them to strengthen your muscles, insert them into your vagina where you want to focus your “squeeze point.”
However, if you want to leave them during sex, you may want to consider ones without strings, and then put them right under your cervix. Your partner should be careful though because things rubbing against your cervix can cause some irritation.
You may also want to consider a single ball, instead of multiple balls for this purpose. Also be sure to remove them at the first sign of discomfort.
When you insert them, also be sure to wash your hands well first, and use lube.
Can Kegel Beads Get Lost?
If you put them in, you may worry about getting them out again. Although you may temporarily have a difficult time finding them, they are not actually lost. Most people are able to remove them quite easily though.
Except during childbirth, your cervix is a very small opening and certainly nothing as big as a Kegel ball can get through there.
Can I Put them Into my Anus?
No! As you can see from the pictures of them, Ben Wa Balls do not have a flared base on them. Because your anus is a very long tube, they can go too far in and even disappear completely. You may require medical assistance to remove them.
Instead, consider a butt plug which has a flared base on it.
What if they Keep Falling Out?
You may find that wearing them when standing up or moving around causes them to fall out and that you’re unable to hold them in. Try doing your kegels laying down, or sitting, and then working your way up to standing or moving around with them.
Some people also find that the plastic ones stay in easier than the metal or stainless steel balls.
How Long Should I Keep Them In?
Most medical professionals, if they recommend using them at all suggest keeping them in for longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Doing so can stress out the muscles in your pelvis. It’s kind of like doing a 20 minute bicep curl!
You should certainly not wear them overnight or all day, even though you’ll see some articles recommending this.
How Can I Clean Ben Wa Balls?
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for this. But, generally, you’ll want to clean them with a very mild soap, or menstrual cup cleanser. Then, be sure to rinse the soap residue off very well in order to reduce your chance of getting a yeast infection, or bacterial vaginosis.
When you store them, be sure to not put them into an airtight container because this is often a serious breeding ground for bacteria.
Can I Use them When Going to the Bathroom?
It’s not recommended. You may put additional stress on your urethra. And, you also run the risk of them falling into the toilet.
Once they fall into the toilet, they’ll be full of all types of germs that can cause a vaginal infection.
Have your Say about Kegel Balls
What are your thoughts about this product? Love ’em or hate ’em? Are they a gimmick, or do they actually work? Leave a comment below and let us know. Also, don’t forget to share this article on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Last update on 2021-04-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API