Dear Kate Period Panties Review
If you’re looking for some extra protection during your period, or for light incontinence, then you might want to consider a pair of period panties like these ones from Dear Kate. Here are a few quick facts about them:
- Made in the USA
- 3 layers of protection (2 wicking, 1 leak-resistant)
- Comfortable and breathable (no plastic layer like most period underwear)
- Wash and dry with your regular laundry
- Some of the most expensive menstrual underwear you can buy
- Very stylish and fashionable, most people would never guess that they were period panties
- 3 styles and 2 lining options
Dear Kate Period Panties Introduction
The Dear Kate Menstrual Underwear are some of the most expensive period panties you can buy. They’re nice, but the real question is are they worth this high price-tag? Let’s find out!
We LOVE how stylish Dear Kate Period Panties are. They don’t even look like period panties, unlike some of the other options out there (ahem…Intimate Portal) that are very obviously not regular panties.
The other great thing about Dear Kate is how soft and comfortable they are. Unlike other period panties, they don’t have a plastic layer in them. No more crinkling when you walk or sit down! They use some innovative technology to make them leak-resistant without this.
However, they are 2-5x more expensive than most of the other period panties you can find on Amazon. According to reviews, durability is a bit of an issue and these things didn’t really stand up to washing that well.
Some people also experienced leaking, although this could have been because they got the mini-lining (only crotch coverage) model.
For the price, we’d expect way better reviews, almost perfect ones in fact. As it is, Dear Kate aren’t terrible, but they’re just too expensive for what they are, an average pair of period panties.
Three Protection Layers
There are three layers of protection:
- Two wicking and stain resistant inner layers. 100% micro-polyester
- One protective, water repelling outer layer (Underlux technology). 74% nylon, 26% lycra
Care and Cleaning of Dear Kate Period Panties
You can wash and dry Dear Kates with your regular laundry. Wash them in cold water, and tumble dry on low for the best results. We generally hang them to dry on the line in order to reduce wear and tear on period panties, and cloth menstrual pads.
Don’t use fabric softener, or dryer sheets with Dear Kate underwear. This can destroy the properties of the material that makes them leak-resistant.
Why Consider Period Panties?
Period underwear are comparable to pantyliners, or a light pad. Most people would wear any of these things because they want a layer of protection to go along with their menstrual cup, or tampon. Or, these things work for light incontinence as well.
However, period panties are a better option than pantyliners for a number of reasons. These include:
- Better for the environment. One pair of period panties can last for years, and replace countless pads or pantyliners.
- Save money. Menstrual underwear are more expensive in the short-term, but you can save a ton of money over the long-term.
- Better for your health. Wash them first, of course, but after that? You’ll have a toxic chemical-free period experience. Compare this to disposable pads that have trace amounts of pesticides on them. This stuff isn’t good to have next to your body!
Buy Dear Kate Period Panties
You can easily get the Dear Kate Menstrual Underwear online. If you want to have a cheaper, more comfortable period experience, then check out these period panties for yourself over on Amazon:
Styles and Linings of Dear Kate Period Underwear
There are three different styles of Dear Kates, and two different linings.
Dear Kate Styles
- Thong (low rise, minimal back coverage)
- Brief (high rise, full back coverage)
- Hipster (low rise, but full back coverage)
Date Kate Linings
- Mini lining (crotch area only, holds up to a teaspoon of liquid)
- Full lining (crotch, plus up to waistband in both front and back, holds up to 3 teaspoons, except for the thong which holds only 1 teaspoon).
Dear Kate Sizing
Dear Kate menstrual underwear come in a wide range of sizes and there’s something that’ll probably work for just about everyone. You can find Dear Kates in sizes ranging from XS (size 00 USA) to 3X (size 24-26 USA). That’s why they take a spot on our list of the best Plus Size Period Panties.
Compare Dear Kate Menstrual Underwear
Dear Kate Menstrual Underwear Review
What People are Saying about Dear Kate Period Panties
“These menstrual underwear from Dear Kate do what they claim to do—which is keeping your dry and free from odours. They hipster feel good and have a nice style and design, but the elastic isn’t great and it tends to slide down a little bit.”
“They’re really expensive for what they are. I bought them for my daughter, but the first time wearing them, they leaked through the front. I would personally recommend sticking to regular panties and using a pad, tampon or menstrual cup.”
“They have a very nice fit and are super comfy to wear. However, durability is a bit of an issue with these things as the stitching started to unravel after only a few washes. For the price, I’d expect way better.”
Dear Kate Menstrual Underwear Pros
- Nice styles and colour options
- Made in the USA
- Comfortable and breathable
- Leak-resistant, but don’t have the plastic layer in them
- Anti-microbial and inhibits bacteria growth
- Not obviously period panties
- One year warranty
- 60 day window for returns or exchanges
Dear Kate Period Underwear Cons
- Some of the most expensive period panties you can buy
- According to reviews on Amazon, some issues with durability
- Not absorbent, but just provide a layer of leak-resistant protection. You’ll have to pair these with a cloth pad, tampon or menstrual cup for serious period protection
Pair with a Menstrual Cup for Extra Protection
Period panties like these ones from Dear Kate are a good back-up, and can offer an extra layer of protection when you need it most. However, they are not really that absorbent and don’t provide serious period protection.
That’s why we recommend pairing your Dear Kate Underwear with a menstrual cup (or tampon) on all but the lightest of spotting days.
Menstrual cups have a number of advantages over tampons, including the following:
- Better for the environment (one cup vs. thousands of tampons)
- Money savings (save thousands of dollars over a lifetime)
- Good for your health (much lower risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome)
- Great for heavy periods (3-4x the capacity of a jumbo tampon)
The difficult thing is finding the right menstrual cup for your body type. There are so many choices out there. Low cervix, high-capacity, teen, ring or stem, etc.
That’s why we’ve put together this menstrual cup quiz. There are 5 simple questions that’ll only take you a minute. At the end, you’ll get a recommendation for the best menstrual cup for your body type. Find it here:
Menstrual Cup vs Period Panties
Do you need help deciding between these two period protection choices? Then you’ll need to check out: Menstrual Underwear vs. Menstrual Cups.
What about Dear Kate Yoga Pants? Are they Leak-Resistant?
If you’re looking for some yoga pants that offer the same protection as period panties, then look no further than Dear Kate. As far as we know, they are the only company offering protective yoga pants.
So, if you like to go commando during your workouts, or just wear yoga pants around town but need a bit of extra protection, then you’ll probably love these things. Here are a few of the features that they offer:
- Underlux technology protects you from leaks and sweat, exactly what you need in workout wear
- Lined crotch gusset means that they won’t be too revealing, if you wear them commando. It also holds 1 teaspoon of liquid
- Sweat wicking fabric that is stretchy and comfortable. It moves with you!
- Hidden pocket at the waistband for a house key or money
You can check them out for yourself over on Amazon:
Dear Kate Yoga Pants Review
Compare Dear Kate Yoga Pants Styles and Prices
Dear Kate Period Underwear and Yeast Infections
Some people want to know whether or not they can use Dear Kate Menstrual Panties if they have chronic yeast infections. According to the company, the answer is most certainly yes!
They’ve done testing, comparing Dear Kate to regular panties (not period panties) in terms of permeability and breathability and found it comparable. The moisture wicking, and anti-microbial properties of Dear Kate means that bacteria find it hard to grow, unlike with disposable pantyliners.
Dear Kate Period Underwear: How They Work
Dear Kate: Only for Periods?
Period panties are not just for periods! They can also work well for people with light incontinence issues.
For this situation, you’re probably wearing something like pantyliners or light pads all the time. This can get really expensive.
The other negative to them is that they have trace amounts of toxic chemicals in them from the pesticides used to grow the cotton, as well as bleach from the manufacturing process. This stuff isn’t good to have next to your body every single day.
That’s where Period Panties, like these ones from Dear Kate can come in. Although they do cost more money up-front, they will save you lots of money over medium to long-term.
The Takeaway on Dear Kate Period Panties
What’s the final takeaway on Dear Kate Period Panties? They’re not bad, and we like a lot of things about them, including the style, leak-resistant but non-plastic lining, and also how soft and comfortable they are.
They’re also made in the USA, which we appreciate. A lot of other period panties are mass-produced in China, so this is a nice change from that.
But the price of Dear Kates! They’re ridiculously expensive for what they are, but they are not that much better than their competitors which are often significantly cheaper.
For how much they cost, we’d expect near perfect reviews online. However, most of them are very similar. They’re an okay product, but leaking or durability is a bit of an issue. A lot of people are disappointed because having spent so much money, they’d hoped for a higher-quality product.
But, there is a 60 day return or exchange policy, and a 1-year warranty, so in reality, you have nothing to lose by trying them out. If you’re not happy, return them for a full refund.
You can check them out on Amazon today:
More Period Panty Options
Dear Kate Menstrual Underwear are very expensive. Here are some of the cheaper options available. Of these options, we love the Anigan Stain-Free Period Panties. They are affordable, come in a number of stylish options and have some excellent reviews online and just work well.
Have your Say about Dear Kate Period Underwear
What do you think about Dear Kate Period Panties? Worth the premium price-tag? Or, are you considering a cheaper pair of menstrual underwear.
Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts about Dear Kate period underwear.