The Selena Cup is new to the menstrual cup scene and it was just introduced in the past couple of years. Here are a few quick facts about it:
- Made by an Austrian company from German made medical grade silicone
- Manufacturing country is unknown (our guess is China)
- Comes in three sizes (Small, Medium, Large)
- Two firmness options (Regular and Aktiv/Firm)
- A ring on the end for easy removal
- Includes a cleaning cartridge that allows you to microwave it
- The large Selenacup has a high capacity of 34 ml.
- At 58 mm, the small Selena Menstrual Cup is one of the shorter cups.
It can be very difficult to find the Selena Cup in stores, which is why we recommend shopping online.
An Introduction to the Selena Menstrual Cup
The Selenacup is an interesting new menstrual cup that is from an Austrian company. The medical grade silicone is from Germany, but it’s pretty unclear as to where the cup is made. Here’s what the company somewhat deceptively says on their website:
“SELENACUP was designed and developed in Austria. The medical grade-silicon comes from our partner Wacker AG in Munich.”
Our guess is that the cup is made in China, but that the company doesn’t want people to know this fact. The Ruby Cup, for example is a very good menstrual cup that is made in China according to strict manufacturing standards.
Apart from this (could someone from the company contact me and let me know the full details please?), it’s a very decent menstrual cup.
Range of Sizes for the Selena Cup
The first thing we like is the range of sizes: small, medium, and large. The small really is quite small and short, making it a nice option for teens, or those with a low cervix. The large is one of the larger menstrual cups and makes a nice choice for someone with a very heavy period, or who has given birth vaginally multiple times.
Ring on the End
We also like the ring on the end of it. Some people find this irritating, and don’t like the fact that you can’t really trim it to the correct length. However, some people love it and find menstrual cups with rings really easy to remove (the Meluna Cup for example).
Buy the Selena Cup
It’s not easy to find the Selena Cup in stores, particularly outside of Europe. It’s for this reason that we recommend shopping online. You can check out the Selena Menstrual cup here:
Selena Menstrual Cup Unboxing
3 Sizes of Selenacup
There are three sizes of Selena Cup: Small, Medium and Large. Here are the dimensions:
Small Selena Menstrual Cup
Length: 58 mm
Diameter: 39 mm
Capacity: 21 ml
At 58 mm, the Small Selena Cup makes a nice choice if you have a low cervix. The average menstrual cup is around 70 mm long, so this really can make a big difference. For even more options, check out: Low Cervix Menstrual Cups.
Medium Selena Menstrual Cup
Length: 62 mm
Diameter: 42 mm
Capacity: 26 ml
The Medium Selena Cup is still a relatively small menstrual cup. For example, an average size menstrual cup is around 70 mm long, has a capacity of 30 ml, and a diameter of 43-44 mm.
Large Selena Menstrual Cup
Length: 67 mm
Diameter: 45 mm
Capacity: 34 ml
At 34 ml capacity, the large Selena Cup can make a nice choice if you have a heavy period. Compare this to something like the large Diva Cup which holds 30 ml.
The good news is that the large is actually not a huge menstrual cup, and only has a diameter of 45 mm. This means that if you have a heavy period, but don’t need a very big menstrual cup (haven’t given birth vaginally), then something like this one could work well for you.
The company gives the following advice for choosing the correct size:
- If you have a very light flow, the small Selena Cup will work best for you. Or, if you have a heavy period, you should probably choose the medium or large.
- If you have a low cervix, then you should choose the small cup. If a regular cervix height, go with the medium. And for a high cervix, choose the large Selenacup.
- If you’ve given birth vaginally, you’ll need one of the larger sized Selena Cups. If you haven’t, a small will work well for you.
2 Firmness Options:
The Selenacup comes in 2 different firmness levels, regular and Aktiv. The regular Selena Cup has an average firmness and is similar to something like the Diva Cup. The Aktiv is comparable to something like the firmer Yukki Cup.
The company says that which one you choose depends on the tone of your pelvic floor muscles. You can insert a clean finger into your vagina and squeeze your muscles as if you were trying to suck up your finger.
If you feel only a gentle squeeze,then the regular Selenacup will work for you. If you are able to squeeze your finger tightly, then you should opt for the Selena Aktiv.
Selena Cup Advertisement
Selena Cup Pros:
- Made from top-quality, medical grade silicone
- Range of sizes (small, medium, large) and firmness options (regular, Aktiv/Firm)
- Comes with a cleaning cartridge to allow you to clean it in the microwave
- Small Selena Cup is quite short and could work well for you if you have a low cervix
- The large SelenaCup has an above average capacity of 34 ml, which will work if you have a heavy period
Selena Cup Cons:
- Lack of information about where the cup is made
- Difficult to find apart from Amazon Germany
- Very new so not many customer reviews yet, especially in English
Compare European Made Menstrual Cups
The Takeaway on the Selenacup
If you’re looking for your first, or next menstrual cup then the Selenacup makes a decent option. Apart from the lack of information about where and how to Selena Cup is made, it does appear to be a top-quality menstrual cup.
In particular, we love the sizing and firmness options. That’s six different cups (small, medium, large and regular firmness, Aktiv/firm) to choose from so you’re sure to find one that will work for your body type.
The bit problem is that it can be a little bit difficult to find the Selena Menstrual Cup and we hope that it’ll become more widely available. The company is relatively new, so this could definitely be possible in the near future.
At present, the best place to find the Selena Cup is on Amazon Germany.
Buy the SelenaCup
Does it sound like the Selena Cup is the one for you? If you want to go green, save money, and have a more convenient period experience, then check it out on Amazon:
Selena Cup: Have your Say!
What are your thoughts about the Selenacup? Is it a buy? Or, are you considering another menstrual cup brand? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts with us.